Height and Harness Safety
A one day introductory course designed to provide the knowledge, skills and resources to work safely at height, and use personal safety harness equipment under supervision.
The Height and Harness course is suitable for anyone working at heights.
With the Height and Harness course you will:
- Gain skills and knowledge to work safety at heights under supervision
- Understand how to use harness systems safely
- Earn 6 credits towards your Health and Safety in Construction Programme
- Achieve NZQA Unit Standard 23229 – Use a Safety Harness for Personal Fall Prevention when Working at Height
What The Course Covers
Interactive Group Workshops
- Risk management techniques including hazard identification and control methods
- Examine fall protection systems including restraint technique, fall arrest, work positioning, static line and anchorage systems
- Selection of appropriate anchors
- Inspection, training and record keeping requirements for lanyards and equipment used in fall protection systems
- Rescue planning for a fall arrest scenario
- Check, fit, and adjust a harness
- Methods for using ropes, slings and karabiners, and other height related equipment for attaching to anchors
- Fall arrest and restraint techniques including basic knots, constructing a basic anchor point, and how to set up and use a safety harness system
- On course assessment (including verbal, written and practical components) to the criteria of unit standard 23229
Site Safe regularly reviews and updates course content in partnership with the Construction industry, to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
Please note: to attend this course learners must be physically able to take part in practical height activities.
What You Will Learn
- Identification of risks associated with working at height
- Understand controls that eliminate and minimise risks while working at height
- Recognise the advantages and limitations of using different harness systems and equipment
- Acquire skills for using personal safety harness equipment
- Recognise the requirements for rescue planning and record keeping
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
- A Site Safety Card/Passport (valid for two years)
- 8 Licensed Building Practitioner points
- 6 credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme
- Height and Harness Safety course Certificate
- Unit Standard 23229 – Use a Safety Harness for Personal Fall Prevention when Working at Height
Your Next Learning Steps
Completing the Site Safe Supervisor Course and passing the assignment means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access you don't need to complete the same course again - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. Your site access will automatically renew and you'll earn extra credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme.
With the 10 credits you will gain from completing the Site Safe Supervisor Course you are well on your way to gaining your qualification. Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
Please note: If you are attending a 1 or 2 day Site Safe course then you need to bring with you a form of identification that can be verified (travel passport, birth certificate or residency certificate). This is required by NZQA and the Tertiary Education Commission.
For a full list of our training courses visit our Our Training Courses page.