Your privacy is important to us.
- how we collect personal information
- the kind of personal information we collect
- how we use, and may share, your personal information
- responsibility for personal information collected through linked third-party websites
- how you can access/amend your personal information
- how long we hold personal information; and
- how we transfer personal information globally
- legal rights around managing your privacy
- who you can contact for further information.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information about you by the following means:
- when you or someone on your behalf, register for a course or membership
- when you or someone on your behalf purchase a product or service from us
- when you or someone on your behalf update your information on the Site
- when you or someone on your behalf contact us
- when we otherwise provide information or services to you; and
- when employees, learners, and visiting guests are captured by our security cameras in any of our screened areas e.g. reception and carpark.
The kind of personal information we collect
We collect the personal information you give us or authorise others to provide to us (which may include your name, date of birth and email address). We may also keep a record of communications we have with you, information we obtain in the course of providing products and/or services to you and any information that you acquire from us.
When you are making a payment through the Site, the Site directs you to a secure payment processing website to make payment by credit card or account to account.
We store all our data (including your personal information) on a secure Microsoft cloud platform, Microsoft Office 365 applications, as well as other developer applications through service agreements to provide products and services. We protect our data with all reasonable technical and process controls.
How we use, and may share, your personal information
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with any courses, products and services that you may have been registered for or purchase from us
- to reply to your queries
- to comply with relevant laws and regulations
- for any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected
- for our administrative purposes (including debt recovery if relevant); and
- to protect our legitimate safety and security concerns.
You may provide and update any personal preferences you may have regarding our courses, products, or services through the 'My Site Safe' page on the website, and these may be used for the purposes of providing you with information that we think may be of interest to you.
We may disclose information about you (including your identity):
- to our service providers and other third-parties to the extent reasonably required to provide you with our courses, products, or services, or the information you have requested, or for our business or administrative purposes (which may include, without limit, confirming your compliance with any applicable terms relating to our courses, products, or services and addressing any non-compliance with those terms)
- to any of our affiliates and related entities
- to any person you authorise us to disclose information about you to
- by written request to government agencies such as (but not limited to) the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education Commission, New Zealand Police, Department of Justice, Ministry of Social Development, Inland Revenue, Immigration NZ and the Accident Compensation Corporation; and
- if we are required to do so during the course of legal proceedings or other investigations.
We may use “cookies” and collect session information to provide you with access to tailored information and services on the Site, and to serve you better when you return to it. A cookie is a small data file that the Site sends to your browser, which may then store it on your system for later retrieval by the Site.
Cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor the websites to your interests. Users have the opportunity, using their browser settings, to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issued, deleted, or not to receive cookies at any time.
Information supplied by cookies and session information can help us to analyse the profile of the Site’s visitors and help us to provide you with a better user experience.
Responsibility for personal information collected through linked third-party websites
The Site, any news updates, or other communications we have with you may contain links to third-party websites. Unless expressly stated otherwise, these websites have not been developed by and are not controlled by us. They are provided for your convenience only, and do not imply that we check, endorse, approve or agree with the privacy practices of the third-party websites linked to. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website you visit.
How you can access/amend your personal information
To access the personal information being held by us, or to request a copy, or to request a correction to that information, please contact the privacy officer on email@example.com.
If you request access to, or a copy of, your personal information, we will provide you with a copy of the personal information we keep about you. If you request a correction and we agree that your personal information needs correcting, an amended record of your personal information will be provided back to you.
Personal information can also be updated through ‘My Site Safe’ page on the Site Safe website.
How long we hold personal information
We will keep your personal information for only as long as necessary for use in connection with the purpose for which it was collected.
Transferring personal information globally
We operate in New Zealand. Accordingly, your personal information is transferred and stored using cloud technology and stored in countries outside the European Union, including Australia and the United States of America, that are subject to different standards of data protection.
We will take appropriate steps to ensure that transfers of personal information are in accordance with applicable law and carefully managed to protect your privacy rights and interests. To this end:
- where we transfer your personal information to third parties who help provide our products and services, we obtain contractual commitments from them to protect your personal information; or
- where we receive requests for information from law enforcement or regulators, we validate these requests before any personal information is disclosed.
You have a right to contact us for more information about the safeguards we have in place (including a copy of relevant contractual commitments) to ensure the adequate protection of your personal information when this is transferred as mentioned above.
Legal rights around managing your privacy
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information and we take all reasonable precautions to protect it from Privacy Breaches, namely:
- unauthorised or accidental access, disclosure, alteration, loss, destruction of your personal information; and
- actions which prevent us from accessing your personal information on a temporary or permanent basis.
If your personal information is subject to a privacy breach which causes or is likely to cause serious harm, we will notify you and the Privacy Commissioner in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020.
Your personal information is transferred to our third-party service providers in overseas countries. By providing your personal information to us, you acknowledge that some third party service providers may be located in countries which do not have the same level of privacy laws as New Zealand and you consent to the transfer of your personal information in these circumstances.
If you wish to access or change your personal information, we may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, in particular before disclosing personal information to you.
You can access your information by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject to legal and other permissible considerations, we will make every reasonable effort to respond to your request promptly or inform you if we require further information in order to fulfil your request.
We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to access your information, and we will comply with any request to the extent required under applicable law.
Who you can contact for further information
Postal Address: PO Box 9445, Marion Square, 6141, Wellington
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org