First Aid Construction Safety
This one day course is suitable for those working in the construction sector and want to learn first aid for the first time, or refresh their first aid skills.
With the First Aid Construction Safety course you will:
- Qualify to First Aid Level One Certificate
- Gain a basic understanding of your health and safety responsibilities
- Earn 2 credits towards your Health and Safety in Construction Programme
- Achieve NZQA Unit Standard 6401 – Provide first aid and NZQA Unit Standard 6402 – Provide resuscitation
- Renew your site access card
What The Course Covers
Part I: Site Safe
- Understanding how to do your job safely
- Identifying the reasons for on-site actions
- Recognising the impact of your actions on yourself and others
- Taking personal responsibility for being safe
- Becoming part of a positive safety culture
Part II: St John
- Scene assessment
- Automated external defibrillators
- Conscious/unconscious patient management
- Soft tissue injury
- Broken bones
- Chest pain (eg: heart attack)
- Diabetic emergencies
Please note: to attend this course learners must be physically able to take part in practical CPR activities.
Site Safe regularly reviews and updates course content in partnership with the Construction industry, to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
What You Will Learn
- Stop injuries occurring and change workplace behaviours
- Confidently recognise life threatening situations
- Competently offer vital assistance to the patient before more experienced help arrives
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
- A Site Safety Card/Passport (valid for two years)
- St John First Aid – Level One certificate and workbook
- 8 Licensed Building Practitioner points
- 2 credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme
- Construction Safety Handbook
- Unit Standard 6401 – Provide first aid
- Unit Standard 6402 – Provide resuscitation
Your Next Learning Steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access you don't need to complete the same course again - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. Your site access will automatically renew and you'll earn extra credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme.
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
Important Pre-Course Action
Prior to the course please ensure you have visited www.everydayhero.org.nz and completed the brief online first aid module.
Please note: If you are attending a 1 or 2 day Site Safe course then you need to bring with you a form of identification that can be verified (travel passport, birth certificate or residency certificate). This is required by NZQA and the Tertiary Education Commission.
For a full list of our training courses visit our Our Training Courses page.