Foundation Passport - Civil (Online)
This four-hour entry level fully online course is designed to ensure everyone on-site understands their health and safety responsibilities.
The Foundation Passport – Civil (Online) course introduces key topics including how to keep yourself safe, understanding and controlling risk, as well as basic technical hazards and legal requirements. The online course is aimed at those working in the civil industry and uses targeted examples relevant to that sector.
The online course is suitable for all civil workers, contractors, project managers, quantity surveyors and managers who are new to health and safety training or to the industry.
For the best experience for your online learning, we recommend using the Chrome web browser running on the latest version of either Windows 10 or Mac OS. While other browsers and devices do work, we have found that the experience is not as effective.
Note: After registration, you will receive a confirmation email and link to our online learning website. As this course is fully online - once you receive this email, you're ready to start your course.
With the Foundation Passport – Civil (Online) course you will:
- Learn how to keep safe on-site.
- Understand your basic health and safety responsibilities.
- Improve health and safety awareness of everyone working on-site.
- Earn 2 credits towards your Health and Safety in Construction Programme.
What the course covers
- Working on the road
- Excavations and trenches
- Slinging and rigging
- Mobile plant and equipment
- Hazard identification
- Manual handling
- Worker engagement
- Impact of risk taking and injuries
- Health and environment
- Safe practices
- Safety self-inspections
- Asbestos, dust, spills and contaminated soil
- Conducting inspections of mechanical plant, personal protective equipment (PPE) and harnesses
- The reasons for being safe
- Shaping health and safety culture
- Health and safety conversations
- How to take action
- The impact of risk taking and injuries
- Learn how to speak up when you are not safe
- Understand the power of role models
Site Safe regularly reviews course content in partnership with the construction industry to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. The Foundation Passport – Civil (Online) adopts an interactive learning format, using videos, puzzles and games to ensure learning is engaging and motivational. The course examines the life-changing personal consequences of unsafe actions and injuries, weighed against the pressure on workers to take shortcuts. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
What you will learn
- Outline key industry risks and hazards
- Explain the importance of doing your job safely
- Apply safe worksite procedures and practices and take responsibilities to prevent worksite injuries
- Outline entry level site rules and legal requirements
- Explain basic hazard and risk management
- Identify key risks and hazards that may cause harm and apply basic control measures
- Understand your basic safety responsibility
- Become part of a positive safety culture
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
- A Site Safety Card (Passport) valid for two years
- Four Licensed Building Practitioner points
- The Passport Handbook is available on the Site Safe App
- 2 credits towards the NZQA Health and Safety in Construction Programme (only one Passport-level course may be counted towards the certificate)
Next learning steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access, you don't need to complete the same course again - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. We now offer a suite of cost-effective four-hour Passport Plus courses in specific subjects, as well as a variety of one and two-day courses, all of which will renew your Site Safety Card (Passport).
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
With over 60,000 New Zealand construction workers attending a Site Safe Passport course each year, most major New Zealand contractors require a Site Safety Card for entry to their sites, and as a prerequisite in their tender process.
As well as offering Foundation Passport courses for the building construction, electrical, and consultant industries, Site Safe now also offers a range of four-hour Passport Plus courses which automatically renew Site Safety Cards.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.