Foundation Passport - Consultants (Online)
This four-hour entry level fully online course is designed to ensure consultants can fulfil their personal health and safety responsibilities based on the law and industry standards, throughout the project life cycle and when on site.
The Foundation Passport – Consultants (Online) course introduces key topics including how to keep yourself safe, playing your part in health and safety, managing risks, legal and personal responsibilities, safety by design, and driving a healthy and safe culture.
This online course is targeted at those working in civil and building construction, manufacturing, and maintenance projects, and uses targeted examples relevant to that sector.
The course is suitable for all consultants (e.g. architects, engineers, designers, consulting engineers, quantity surveyors, landscape architects, quality inspectors, temporary works designers, programmers, equipment suppliers, planners and scientists – this list is not exhaustive), who are new to the industry and require foundation health and safety training.
Note: After registration, you will receive a confirmation email and link to our online learning website. As this course is fully online - once you receive this email, you're ready to start your course.
With the Foundation Passport – Consultants (Online) course you will:
- Encourage increased productivity
- Minimise project costs
- Improve health and safety awareness for yourself and others
- Earn 2 credits towards your Health and Safety in Construction Programme
What the course covers
- Developing a business case for health and safety on any project
- Understanding the health and safety responsibilities of project consultants
- The impact of the Health and Safety at Work Act on Consultants
- Personal safety
- The ways in which Consultants influence project safety
Site Safe regularly reviews course content in partnership with the construction consultant’s industry to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. The Foundation Passport – Consultants (Online) course adopts an interactive learning format, using videos, puzzles and games to ensure learning is engaging and motivational. The course examines the life-changing personal consequences of unsafe actions and injuries, weighed against the pressure on workers to take shortcuts. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
What you will learn
- Explain the importance of taking leadership in health and safety during the project’s life cycle and when you are on site.
- Describe the benefits of considering health and safety in planning and implementing projects
- Explain how to keep yourself physically and mentally fit and safe from potential hazards while working on site and during the project life cycle.
- Explain how to identify and manage risks on the job following your risk assessment process.
- Explain your personal responsibilities and your responsibilities to others under the health and safety legislation correctly in relation to your role/s on the job.
- Analyse the importance of Safety in Design when planning the job to ensure everyone’s health and safety during the whole life of the project.
- Explain what drives culture and behaviour, identify personal safety practices and consult, coordinate and cooperate effectively
What you'll get at the end of the course
- A Site Safety Card (Passport) valid for two years
- 20 points towards the New Zealand Institute of Architects Continued Professional Development Programme
- 4 approved hours for New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors Continued Professional Development
- 4 Licensed Building Practitioner points
- 2 credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme (only one Passport level course may be counted towards the Certificate in Construction Site Safety)
- A Passport Handbook is available on the Site Safe App
This course aligns with elements 7, 9 and 10 of the Competence Standard for members of IPENZ.
Next learning steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
Next time you want to renew your site access, you can expand your health and safety knowledge with a new course that's relevant to you. We now offer a suite of cost-effective four-hour Passport Plus courses on specific subjects, as well as a variety of one-and two-day courses, all of which will refresh your learning and renew your Site Safety Card (Passport).
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
With over 60,000 New Zealand construction workers attending a Site Safe Passport course each year, most major New Zealand contractors require a Site Safety Card for entry to their sites, and as a prerequisite in their tender process.
As well as offering Foundation Passport courses for the building construction, electrical, and consultant industries, Site Safe now also offers a range of four-hour Passport Plus courses which automatically renew Site Safety Cards.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.