Passport Plus - Worker Health
A cost-effective option for renewing Site Safety Cards, the Passport Plus – Worker Health course builds on the knowledge introduced in the entry-level Passport courses.
During this four-hour course, learners will understand how to work safely on-site and how to promote a strong health and safety awareness and improve culture on-site.
Learners get to discuss and identify some of the key risks associated with working in the construction industry. Learners will develop an understanding of health and safety controls which will help prevent the serious and sometimes long-term effect of these risks on their health.
Passport Plus – Worker Health is one of four courses under Passport Plus with shared common goals. These goals include:
- How keeping themselves and others safe is a major part of their role as a worker and/or employer.
- How their actions and inactions affect their lives and those around them.
Passport Plus Worker Health covers a broad range of topics that is suitable for all workers, contractors and managers in the construction industry. It’s also suitable for those who have completed a Site Safe Foundation Passport course.
Please note that there are no Unit Standards attached to the Passport Plus – Worker Health course.
What The Course Covers
Passport Plus – Worker Health is divided into two parts, each part running for two hours.
Part One - learners will work in groups to assess sample scenarios about behavioural safety topics. Learners will be able to identify things that are working well and find solutions to roadblocks to having a strong health and safety culture at work.
Part Two - learners will learn about what encompasses worker health or worker-related health. Worker Health is about how our work affects our health and how our health affects our work. Learners will discuss how exposure to substances, environments and poor behaviour can affect workers’ physical and mental health.
In Part One (Behavioural safety) learners will learn:
- The reasons to being safe.
- How role models influence the actions of other workers.
- How to make health and safety conversation positive.
- How health and safety culture and the mindset is shaped by role models and conversations.
- What actions to take to improve worker health and safety.
In Part Two (Worker Health-specific content) learners will learn:
- The risk assessment process and hierarchy of controls.
- How to identify hazards and safe practices for:
- Hazardous substances.
- How to identify causes and ways to address:
- Drugs and alcohol.
- Workplace violence and bullying.
- Wellbeing initiatives to keep themselves and others healthy and safe.
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
On completion of the course, you will receive:
- Site Safety Card (Passport) valid for two years
- Four Licensed Building Practitioner points
- Three credits towards the Site Safe Health and Safety in Construction programme (only one Passport level course may be counted towards the certificate)
The Site Safe Passport Handbook and Learner Wallet card will be made available in the classroom to pick-up.
Next Learning Steps
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access, you don't need to complete the same course again - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. We offer a range of one and two-day courses which will renew your Site Safety Card/Passport.
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after successfully completing this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
With over 60,000 New Zealand construction workers attending a Site Safe Passport course each year, most major New Zealand contractors require a Site Safety Card for entry to their sites, and as a prerequisite in their tender process.
As well as offering Passport courses, Site Safe also offers a range of one and two-day courses which automatically renew Site Safety Cards.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.