Site Safe in conjunction with Unitec are pleased to announce 6 Scholarships targeting trainees to complete the Certificate in Construction Site Safety.
The intent of the scholarships are to help industry develop the safety leaders of tomorrow.
The Scholarships address three focus areas for the Government, which are also three areas under represented in Site Safe Certificate Graduates.
For this reason the Scholarships are open to the following groups of trainees:
- under 25 years of age
Recipients and their Companies will receive complimentary training in the most appropriate Site Safe courses to see them through to graduating in the Certificate in Construction Site Safety.
Recipients will also be teamed up with a dedicated Site Safe Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor to offer mentoring and support in completion of training assignment work.
How does the Scholarship work?
- Each Scholarship entitles the recipient to complimentary training from the suite of Site Safe’s courses up to the achievement of the Certificate in Construction Site Safety
- Recipients will attend training over a 6 – 12 month period
- Recipients will be teamed up with a Site Safe Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor to offer dedicated mentoring and support in completion of training assignment work
- Recipients will receive a complimentary ticket to the Site Safe Certificate Graduation event, and Site Safe will meet the cost of a return flight and one night accommodation (where necessary) for the Scholarship Recipient to attend the Graduation event.
What does the Scholarship mean for recipients and their Companies?
- The Scholarship will fully cover the price of each seat on the appropriate Site Safe courses
- The Scholarship will also cover the cost of Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor time in the provision of dedicated mentoring and support for the recipient to complete training assignment work
- Just some of the benefits to completing the Certificate in Construction Site Safety include:
Who is eligible for a Scholarship?
To be eligible for a Certificate in Construction Site Safety Scholarships, Trainees must be nominated by their Company (which must be a Site Safe Member Company). Each Company may nominate a maximum of two Employees. Both the Nominee and their Employer must fully complete the Application Form by Friday 28 September 2012, and the Nominee must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be employed full time in the construction industry by a Site Safe Member Company
- be a New Zealand Citizen or a New Zealand Permanent Resident
- be over 16 years of age
- not currently be in a formal training agreement with and Industry Training Organisation (ITO)
- not currently be a full-time student with a New Zealand Tertiary Institution
- be of (and able to prove) Maori or Pacifika descent (if applying for a Maori or Pacifica Scholarship)
- show proof of age (if applying for a under 25 Scholarship)
All Scholarship applications will be presented to a Site Safe Scholarship panel made up of representatives from Site Safe (the Chief Executive and Operations Manager), Unitec (Certificate Programme Leader) and a representative from the construction industry.
The panel will consider all applications on their merits, taking into account the fullness of the applicants responses to the questions outlined in the Scholarship Application From, and any supporting evidence provided. The panel will be looking for a demonstration of (or potential for) strong safety leadership skills (regardless of the age, position or level of the Employee); a clear demonstration of an overriding commitment to safety along with a solid work ethic; and the ability and potential to go on and contribute positively to safety in their Company and the industry as a whole.
- Friday 28 September 2012: Applications close for scholarship
- Friday 12 October 2012: Scholarship panel meets and scholarships are awarded. All applicants are notified by phone or email.
- Friday 19 October 2012: Draft schedule of courses proposed with Scholarship recipients in order to achieve the Certificate at Graduation event in 2012.
- Scheduled: Site Safe Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor are available by appointment to assist with mentoring and support in completion of training assignment work.
- October 2013: Trainees Graduate at Graduation event.
How to Apply
Please contact Angela Lewes for a Scholarship Application Form or if you have any questions by emailing email@example.com or phone 04 495 9870.