Safety Harness Systems
A one-day introductory course designed to provide the knowledge, skills and resources to work safely at height when using a safety harness system under supervision.
The Safety Harness Systems (previously called Height and Harness Safety) course is suitable for anyone who is or will be using a safety harness system while working at heights.
With the Safety Harness Systems course you will:
What the course covers
Interactive Group Workshops
- Identify hazards and risks when working at height and control methods.
- Assess and select appropriate anchors.
- Check, fit, and adjust a full body harness.
- Inspect equipment used in a safety harness system before using them.
- Fill equipment logs for harnesses and lanyards used in safety harness systems.
- Practice basic knots employed in setting up anchors or safety harness systems.
- Practice different methods for using ropes, slings and karabiners, and other height related equipment for attaching to anchors.
- Practice fall arrest and restraint techniques including basic knots, construct basic anchor points, and set up and use safety harness systems.
Assessment of competency is achieved through an on-course assessment that has an 80% verbal and practical and 20% written component. The assessments have been designed to criteria of unit standard 23229.
Please note: to attend this course learners must be physically able to take part in practical height activities. Learners must also wear closed footwear on the course.
Site Safe regularly reviews and updates course content in partnership with the Construction industry, to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
What you will learn
- Identify hazards associated with working at height.
- Understand safety harnesses and associated systems and equipment.
- Understand hazards associated with wearing a safety harness and associated equipment.
- Check and fit a safety harness system.
- Understand what’s required in a rescue plan to be activated in the event of a fall.
- Employ a safety harness system where a fall hazard exists at height.
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
- A Site Safety Card (Passport) valid for two years.
- 8 Licensed Building Practitioner points.
- 6 credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme.
- Safety Harness Systems course certificate.
- Unit Standard 23229 – Use a safety harness for personal fall prevention when working at height.
Your next learning steps
Completing this course and passing the assignment means you'll gain/renew your site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access again you don't need to complete the same course - expand your health and safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you. Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options.
Completing this course will also mean that you are well on your way to gaining a qualification in health and safety; check out the Health and Safety in Construction Programme page for more info.
Please note: We need to sight a form of government issued identification in order to process the result of this course. If we have not sighted a copy of your identification in the past, please bring a form of ID with you to the course, for example: NZ Driver License, 18+ Card, Travel Passport.
Need to maintain or renew your Site Safety card?
Maintain your Site Safety Card by choosing the right course for your current role. Download our easy to read card/course option poster and progress your career with our Health and Safety in Construction Programme Certificate.