A two-day course designed to help you recognise the role, functions, and responsibilities as a Health & Safety Representative (HSR).
The Site Safe Health & Safety Representative course will help learners understand their role as a link between the leaders and workers and how to perform their representative functions effectively to benefit the whole organisation.
The Health & Safety Representative course is suitable for all employees.
With the Health & Safety Representative course, you will:
- Gain skills in working with leaders and workers to ensure there are systems in place to manage the health and safety of the workers, manage risks, engage and involve workers, manage emergencies, foster good employment relations and act in good faith.
- Achieve NZQA Unit Standard 29315 - Describe the role and functions of the Health and Safety Representative in a New Zealand workplace. level 3, 2 NZQA credits
- Understand the HSR's role, function and powers under the legislation - the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
What The Course Covers
- The benefits of health and safety and the cost of ignoring it for workers and employers
- The Health and Safety Representative’s (HSR’s) role under HSWA 2015 and the PCBU’s and WorkSafe NZ’s obligations
- The various Safety Management Systems that an organisation could have in place to manage health and safety
- How employers can use Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and Health and Safety Committees (HSCs) to engage workers
- The key functions of a Health and Safety Representative and the key skills and attitude they must carry to perform these functions effectively
- The authority of an elected and trained Health and Safety Representative
- Understanding how to issue a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN)
The assignment for this course is completed across the two days. Learners will be given time to complete the various assignment sections at the end of the relevant section. Assignments will be collected at the end of the course for assessment.
Site Safe regularly reviews and updates course content in partnership with the Construction industry, to ensure alignment to best practice industry standards. Visit our Why Choose Site Safe Training page for more information.
What You Will Learn
What You'll Get at the End of the Course
- A Site Safety Card/Passport (valid for two years)
- 16 Licensed Building Practitioner points
- 9 credits towards the Health and Safety in Construction Programme
- Health and Safety Representative Certificate
- Unit Standard 29315 - Describe the role and functions of the Health and Safety Representative in a New Zealand workplace.
Please note: all the above will be provided upon successful completion of the course assignment.
Next Learning Steps
Once you have completed the Health and Safety Representative course and achieved unit standard 29315 you will be eligible as an elected Health and Safety Rep in your workplace to undertake additional training, using your annual Health and Safety Representative training entitlement.
You and your PCBU (workplace) must agree that the further training is relevant to your Health and Safety Rep role.
Courses you may wish to consider are:
Completing a Site Safe Passport means you'll gain site access for the next two years.
When it's time to renew your site access you don't need to complete the same course again, expand your Health and Safety knowledge with a different course that's relevant to you.Your site access will automatically renew and you'll earn extra credits towards your Health and Safety in Construction Programme.
Have a look at the pathway examples for more training options after completing successfully this course.
Check out our Training CPD Matrix to see Site Safe courses and credits at a glance.
Please note: If you are attending a 1 or 2 day Site Safe course then you need to bring with you a form of identification that can be verified (travel passport, birth certificate or residency certificate). This is required by NZQA and the Tertiary Education Commission.
For a full list of our training courses visit our Our Training Courses page.